After facing a DUI arrest, most people are anxious and not sure what to do next. Below is a list of recommended actions to take immediately after being arrested for a DUI in Las Vegas. A DUI charge can be tremendously nerve wrecking, but with the help of a trusted Las Vegas DUI lawyer the process can be much more bearable.
1. Make sure to contact friends or family that can vouch for your sobriety. It is best to contact someone as soon as the arrest occurred so they can testify on your behalf of your coherency and speech ability at the time of the arrest.
2. Make a detailed list of the food and alcohol consumed in the hours leading up to the arrest. Be sure to get copies of any receipts that show the purchase of the food or alcohol consumed to provide as documentation. Many times field sobriety, blood, breath, and urine test are done incorrectly by the arresting officers and lead to a false DUI arrest. With the information provided we are able to match the claimed blood alcohol content (BAC) with the consumption pattern to see if there are any discrepancies.
3. Consult with an experienced and knowledgeable Las Vegas DUI lawyer. Having a skilled and experienced Las Vegas DUI lawyer that understands the Nevada DUI laws greatly increases your chance of beating your DUI charge.
4. Let your Las Vegas DUI lawyer know of any health conditions that may have potentially negatively altered the results of your BAC. Some of the common conditions that effect BAC during an arrest are gastro-esophageal reflux disease, chronic acid reflux or heartburn, cavities, gingivitis, and dental pockets.
5. Be completely honest with your Las Vegas DUI attorney. Lying about the situation or leaving parts of your story out will not help your case. By law any details of your case that are discussed between you and your Las Vegas DUI attorney cannot be admitted as evidence against you in court.
6. Contact the DMV and request a DMV hearing to contest suspension of your license. Failure to request a DMV hearing within the allotted time frame may result in an automatic suspension of your driver license.
This list is a great start to reduce the negative consequences of a DUI charge, but is by no means a substitute for the counsel of an experienced Las Vegas DUI attorney. Contact us today for a free consultation by calling (702) 529-0333 or submitting the contact request form in the upper right corner of this page.